Press and Publications
- Abamu, Jenny. “Edmodo’s Tracking of Students and Teachers Revives Skepticism Surrounding ‘Free’ Edtech Tools - EdSurge News.” EdSurge, May 15, 2017. https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-05-15-edmodo-s-tracking-of-students-and-teachers-revives-skepticism-surrounding-free-edtech-tools.
- Berdik, Chris. “The Best Way to Protect Students’ Personal Data.” Slate, January 18, 2017. http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2017/01/how_to_protect_students_personal_data.html.
- Burnham, Kristen. "Inside school-issued tech: The privacy problem" The Parallax, October 16, 2017. https://www.the-parallax.com/2017/10/16/school-ed-tech-privacy/
- “Data Privacy | K-12 Edtech Trends | State of EdTech.” EdSurge, n.d. https://www.edsurge.com/research/special-reports/state-of-edtech-2016/k12_edtech_trends/data_privacy.
- Dobo, Nichole. “Nearly Half of Education-Vendor Websites Tested Had Security Problems, Audit Reveals.” Washington Monthly - K-12, December 14, 2016. http://washingtonmonthly.com/2016/12/14/nearly-half-of-education-vendor-websites-tested-had-security-problems-audit-reveals/.
- Dobo, Nichole. “Students’ Worry: Education Technology Might Predict Failure before They Have a Chance to Succeed.” The Hechinger Report, March 1, 2017. http://hechingerreport.org/students-worry-education-technology-might-predict-failure-chance-succeed/.
- Herold, Benjamin. “Chan-Zuckerberg to Push Ambitious New Vision for Personalized Learning - Education Week.” Education Week, June 29, 2017. http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2017/06/29/chan-zuckerberg-to-push-ambitious-new-vision-for.html?r=1962265360.
- Herold, Benjamin. “COPPA and Schools: The (Other) Federal Student Privacy Law, Explained.” Education Week, n.d. http://www.edweek.org/ew/issues/childrens-online-privacy-protection-act-coppa/index.html?cmp=SOC-SHR-FB.
- Herold, Benjamin. “Popular Ed-Tech Platform Edmodo Hacked, Faulted for Ad-Tracking.” Education Week - Digital Education, n.d. http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/DigitalEducation/2017/05/ed-tech_platform_edmodo_hacked_ad_tracking.html?cmp=SOC-SHR-FB.
- Herold, Benjamin. “Trump’s Anti-Immigration Rhetoric Fuels Data Concerns - Education Week.” Education Week, January 18, 2017. http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2017/01/13/trumps-anti-immigration-rhetoric-fuels-data-concerns.html?r=649148495.
- Horowitz, Eli. "This Company Wants to Measure Your Kid's Brainwaves." Alternet, December 1, 2017. https://www.alternet.org/company-wants-measure-your-kids-brainwaves
- Locke, Charley. “Edtech Companies Pledge to Protect Student Data Privacy - EdSurge News.” EdSurge, October 7, 2014. https://www.edsurge.com/news/2014-10-07-edtech-companies-pledge-to-protect-student-data-privacy.
- Lord, Rich, and Henney, Megan. “Surveillance Society: Students Easy Targets for Data Miners.” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, n.d. http://www.post-gazette.com/news/surveillance-society/2015/08/20/Surveillance-Society-Students-easy-targets-for-data-miners/stories/201508230018.
- Madda, Mary Jo. “How Do Edtech Products Rate on Safety? Common Sense Education Platform Names the Good and the Not-So-Good - EdSurge News.” EdSurge, June 27, 2016. https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-06-27-how-do-edtech-products-rate-on-safety-common-sense-education-platform-names-the-good-and-the-not-so-good.
- Schaffhauser, Dian. “Free Tool Lets Schools Test Encryption of Ed Tech Software -.” THE Journal, n.d. https://thejournal.com/articles/2017/02/14/free-tool-lets-schools-test-encryption-of-ed-tech-software.aspx.
- Singer, Natasha. “How Google Took Over the Classroom.” The New York Times, May 13, 2017, sec. Technology. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/technology/google-education-chromebooks-schools.html.
- Fitzgerald, Bill. “Big Data in Education: Balancing the Benefits of Educational Research and Student Privacy – Lessons Learned from Educational Stakeholders.” National Academy of Education, May, 2017. https://naeducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Fitzgerald-FINAL.pdf
- Fitzgerald, Bill. Drupal for Education and E-Learning. Packt Publishing, November 2008
- Fitzgerald, Bill. “Evaluating the Privacy and Security of Ed Tech -.”THE Journal, n.d. https://thejournal.com/articles/2016/04/14/evaluating-the-privacy-and-security-of-edtech-7-questions-to-guide-the-process.aspx.
- Fitzgerald, Bill. “InBloom – Data, Privacy, and the Conversations We Could Have Had.” Data and Society, February 2, 2017. https://points.datasociety.net/inbloom-data-privacy-and-the-conversations-we-could-have-had-b2b42eecd4b7
- Selinger, Evan; Brenda Leong; and Bill Fitzgerald. “Schools Fail to Recognize the Privacy Consequences of Social Media.” CSM Passcode, January 20, 2016. http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Passcode/Passcode-Voices/2016/0120/Opinion-Schools-fail-to-recognize-privacy-consequences-of-social-media
- Polonetsky, Jules, Amelia Vance, and Bill Fitzgerald. "Securing student data is a challenge that requires sufficient funding." The Hill, December 15, 2017. http://thehill.com/opinion/cybersecurity/363095-securing-student-data-is-a-challenge-that-requires-cash
- Shaffer, Kris and Bill Fitzgerald. “Spot a Bot: Identifying Automation and on Social Media.” Data for Democracy, June 5, 2017. https://medium.com/data-for-democracy/spot-a-bot-identifying-automation-and-disinformation-on-social-media-2966ad93a203